I am soo excited! For those of you who don't know, NaNoWriMo, is a month were everyday we have (no GET) to write a 1676 words in order to reach a 50k word novel by the end of the month. Its soo much fun!
This time I've gone further and created a book that combines my love of Improv with my love of novel writing!
I've been improvising on stage weekly since 2010. Even when I was just learning the craft, I could see how improv could impact my writing. Just like being on stage is terrifying (with no script, mind you), so is facing the blank page while writing.
Every week that I improvise, I face this fear. Stage time has built courage in me that I then can transfer to the written page. It's also given me a toolkit for creating characters and generating future plot points.
I’ve boiled down the essentials of improvising a one-act play, beginning with facing your fear and moving on to the nuts and bolts of writing a good novel.
I took those essentials and put them into a fun new book called Improv Your Novel in 30 Days. In my book I share improv techniques to create a riveting plot and interesting characters. But the best part of the book is the day by day exercises that kick start your creativity before you start writing.
I hope that these techniques and tips will help you finally finish your book—all over the next 30 days. I've even turned the book into a video series, one video per day of November!
The videos and book will teach you:
- Day One: How to brain storming the big life changing event that kicks your character's life into gear.
- Day Two: How to pull those riveting characters out of your character center/warehouse.
- Day Three: How to create a rich world by uncovering the laws of your novel's world.
- Day Four: How to creating the places your characters live by populating them with the things that matter to them.
- Day Five: How to listen to your characters to find the themes and games to create rich subplots.
- And more!